Wednesday 6 May 2015

A nesting friend


I love waking up to birds chirping outside my window each morning, especially the distinct melodious warbling from my favourite oriental magpie robins.

A myriad of birds feature regularly in my garden and I make great effort to ensure their visits are most welcomed with a well placed bird-bath filled with clean water twice a day. Some of the birds I could identify are the glossy starlings, bulbul, bright yellow Orioles, the sunbird which I once mistaken as the hummingbird, and bee-eaters. I hope to build a suitable feeding station next, one which will also provide some shelter during rainy days.

So it was with a pleasant surprise I woke up this morning to find a feathered friend has built a little nest on the upper tier of my bougainvillea tree, complete with three little eggs.

I could not resist taking a quick snapshot of this unexpected treasure while at the same time hoping fervently that mommy bird will not notice her hideout has been discovered. I definitely do not want her disturbed until the eggs are hatched and the baby birds have taken flight on their own.

I can't tell what kind of bird it is from the eggs but I am guessing it might be a rock pigeon because these birds regularly nests on nooks and crannies under the roof and between the ledges. This is the first time I discovered a nest so low. I wonder if the bird was attracted to and reassured by the dummy nest I hung up on one of the bougainvillea branches.

For whatever reason, I hope I have not frightened it off by my discovery and I do hope they will make more parts of my garden their preferred nesting place.

It's a beautiful Wednesday indeed, despite the very hot and humid weather we have been getting the past couple of weeks.

Update @ 6:45pm: I just got home from work and from a distance, I can see mommy bird sitting atop her eggs in the nest. Yayyyyy!! *happeeeeee*


No comments:

Post a Comment